Can not connect to server Get Proxy Error 504.

03-02-2018 07:46 AM
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

Attempting to connect to new Arcgis Server using Add ArcGIS Server. I enter URL and user name and password and I get the Error: We were not able to connect to "Server" Error: Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify server is running). (Status code 504).

I am running Acrmap 10.5.1 and server is the same. I have tested and it works on other desktops the only difference between this one and the others is it is still using Windows 7 and the others are using 10. We have taking it off the domain and put it back on, ran updates, etc.. still nothing seems to be working. has anyone seen this? I have read many similar issues that were due to miss matched versions like 10.0 on desktop and 10.4 on server but these match. I have run out of ideas and could use some more if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Ken

25 Replies
DeanMoiler
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kenneth,

I've been experiencing the same issue at a few locations, and have gone through the same troubleshooting issues listed above with no success, however I've found a solution for my particular version of this problem which may be of assistance.

Auserconnect to the servers seems to work fine from ArcCatalog, butpublisherandadminfail with this 504 error.

Firstly, all instances where I have seen this, the portal instance is registered to use Windows AD users, so IWA and SSO via the WebAdaptor.

What seems to be the problem is running the ArcMap/Catalog desktop application as aWindows AD Userthat is not a member of the portal identity store. If you start up ArcMap as an admin user not registered in portal (in the instances I've tried) you will run into a 504 problem.

It also seems that you cannot bypass the webadaptor and simply use the site administrator account when ArcMap/Catalog is running as a non-portal admin/publisher user, which is where it seems to be buggy.

To solve it we found that it's possible to do arun asof ArcMap/Catalog with anAD userthat is eitherpublisher or adminon the portal. After this the 504 error stopped occurring and both Portal users psa credentials and Portal AD credentials could be used to create an admin connection to AGS.

Hopfully this helps!

Dean

ChristophFrischknecht
New Contributor II

I had this problem in exactly the setting mentioned above. However, the porposed solution didn't work for me. In the end I found out, that it was not possible to call the URL for the portal web adaptor (https://[web server name]/portal) from the machine where ArcGIS Server was installed. But this is mandatory, since ArcGIS Server will call the /generateToken endpoint from portal through the web adaptor. So opening port 443 for communication between the web and the GIS server solved the issue.

0Kudos
JustinJohnson2
New Contributor III

Hi Kenneth,

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I'm experiencing it now. I went through the same checklist of suggestions that you did, and none were successful, either. I'm getting this 504 error in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, but my neighbor in the next cubicle can connect perfectly. The only clue I get is in ArcMap. When it fails to connect, I get this error:

ArcMap 504 error

I don't know where to begin searching for a solution to "Proxy server got bad address from remote server"

Hope you had some luck,

Justin

0Kudos
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

I did not and have changed jobs since.

0Kudos
JustinJohnson2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update. I have managed to fix the issue, by changing my

account password on the site running the ArcGIS Server connection. I don't

know if that's what did it, but it worked for me.

Good luck at the new job.

0Kudos
SebastianCabrera
Esri Contributor

See if adding /admin to the url solves the issue (https://fqdn/webadaptor/admin). Worked for us.

0Kudos
TomMerhige
New Contributor II

This helped resolve an issue on my end... Just had to make sure the web adaptor being referenced in the URL had administrative access.

Brendawheatley
New Contributor II

I recently experienced the same problem when trying to publish to our new servers. To fix the problem I had to check my IE settings. I had to add access IE Tools, Advanced Settings, and allow 'USE TLS 1.1 and USE TLS 1.2'. Once I added the settings I was able to publish the service

MikeSnook
New Contributor

有同样的问题。我们有广告集成和our AGS site is federated with Portal on another machine. The fix for us was to start ArcGIS Administrator on the affected machine ArcGIS Machine Node -> Advanced... -> Manage Portal Connections... -> Add your Portal Machine URL/ here.

DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

That's what I had to do to!

0Kudos