Portal WebMap and updated service

06-26-2021 12:25 PM
DavidPike
MVP频繁的贡献者

Portal 10.6.1

Map Service published to federated portal - published from ArcMap (can utilise Pro)

Hi All,

I'm currently having a headache as to how to add a new dataset to an existing service (dataset to be added to an existing group layer in the service) and have it update in the Web Map without having to remove the service, re-add it and then reconfigure all of the popups, aliases, popup display formatting etc previously configured in the Web Map. This is compounded by the fact that the service is used in multiple Web Maps.

Messing about with the Web Map JSON is a possibility, but not one I'm particularly fond of. Also would switching to Pro for all publishing solve any issues and allow the full necessary configuration of the Web Map?

Many thanks for any input.

0Kudos
6 Replies
TanuHoque
金宝搏吧

@DavidPike

Do you have static ids assigned to layers/tables in the source mxd?

Here is the link to the help topic to find more info on that:https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/introduction-to-sharing-web-layers.ht...

If not, I'd highly recommend you to do that? It is supported both in ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap.Once you turn this option on, double check to make sure layer/table ids matched with what you have in the service REST end point. In case you see any discrepancies, you can update that in layer/table properties page before updating your map service.

This will make sure once you update your map service with layers, all your webmaps and app will continue to work.

Only thing is that the new layers might not appear in your existing webmaps in some cases e.g. if you reordered sublayers inside the map image layer, or updated their symbology etc. And at that point, you might need to manually insert the new layer definition in the webmap json. That said, I'm not an expert in webmap area, there might be other easier way to do that.

Hope you will find this helpful.

DavidPike
MVP频繁的贡献者

Thanks very much for your reply, I'll need to test on this again as there may be some MXDs where this hasn't been employed, hence causing the issue. Hopefully can figure it out, as re-enabling popups for a large web map isn't my ideal monday.

0Kudos
DavidPike
MVP频繁的贡献者

Hi, Unfortunately after testing it appears that layers added into an existing group layer do not automatically show up even with the layer IDs set.

0Kudos
TanuHoque
金宝搏吧

@DavidPike

That is what I meant when I said

Only thing is that the new layers might not appear in your existing webmaps in some cases e.g. if you reordered sublayers inside the map image layer, or updated their symbology etc. And at that point, you might need to manually insert the new layer definition in the webmap json.

If you look at the webmap's json definition onhttps://ago-assistant.esri.com/, you will see that all sublayers were written in there. I didn't find a way to update that from the UI. What I did was that I inserted the new sublayer in the json manually.

0Kudos
DavidPike
MVP频繁的贡献者

Thanks Tanu, I'm guessing a manual (unless scripted of-course) process for all the web maps then:disappointed_face:

0Kudos
ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

We are stuck with this issue also. Worse still is that messing with the JSON to update a webmap successfully appears to break widgets in WAB templates.

Perhaps@KellyGerrow, AGOL product owner, can help? Cross postings arehereandhere.

0Kudos