Query Parcel by Address using an API

06-25-2021 07:02 AM
JoshuaTrimm
New Contributor

I'm working on a grad school project where I need to query parcel data, nation-wide, by a single address. Is this possible? I found a tool the load in all the parcel data but I don't have the request headers correct.

JoshuaTrimm_0-1624629388951.png

On ArcGIS's map web page (link here) this async request is loaded into the page in the form of a table that mimics a CSV.

JoshuaTrimm_1-1624629548767.png

If I keep scrolling, it should load all the parcel data I want. However, I just need it in json format.

Thanks for any and all the help! This is really cool that all this data and api stuff is this open!

Tags(3)
0Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Honored Contributor

It is possible, and there are a number of ways to do it. If you just want "enter address, get parcel", you'll need to use some kind oflocatorservice to convert the entered address into a point, then use that point to intersect with the service.

geometry=
geometryType=esriGeometryPoint
inSR=4326
sptialRel=esriSpatialRelIntersects
f=json

Otherwise, you'll need something to parse the input address, as it appears the table keeps the address in multiple fields. Or possibly have a search tool that takes the various fields as separate inputs.

where=SIT_HSE_NU%3D AND SIT_STR_NA%3D

And so on.

Do you have a preferred tool or coding language you were planning on using for this?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JoshuaTrimm
New Contributor

I'm currently developing in asp.net and JavaScript with Postman to test my API's. Would you also provide a link to where the documentation for the specific topic is located?

Just to be clear, I will be able to do this on any address in the United States, correct?

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I will be able to put this API project on my resume!

0Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Honored Contributor

If you're using JavaScript, theREST APIis a good place to start. Specifically, you may be interested in

For your second question, that's really something for theownerof that service to answer. I'd check out the layer's documentation / metadata to see if there is a geographic extent given, or use limitations, etc. I tried to visit the link in your screenshot to see the data myself, but it refused to connect.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0Kudos