Pulldata .csv Leading Zeroes Ignored

Jump to solution
10-26-2017 07:08 AM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

We are using the Pulldata function with barcode labels for inspection of assets. Our Asset IDs are 5 digit numbers with some that begin with a 0 ie. 02243. Excel ignores these zeroes when reading csv files. I have tried several different methods to create and save the .csv file, but the leading zeroes are not read in Survey123. we require the Asset ID data to be the 5 digit number including any leading zeroes so that we can link it back to our SCADA system. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Suggestions?

I have attached the survey, .csv file and a jpg of a barcode for testing.

Thanks,

--gary

0Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gary,

You can explicitly make a cell in Excel a string by using the =TEXT() function; this takes a format that allows leading zeros. Then, you can copy and paste Special (Values) to set those as text.

View solution in original post

0Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Gary,

You can explicitly make a cell in Excel a string by using the =TEXT() function; this takes a format that allows leading zeros. Then, you can copy and paste Special (Values) to set those as text.

0Kudos
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

Right, but when the csv is read by excel, aren’t the zeroes then ignored? I can open my csv in notepad and the zeroes are there, it is only in excel that the zeroes disappear.

I will try this and see if it will work.

Thanks for the quick reply,

--gary

Gary H. Bowles, GISP

GIS Database Administrator | Seneca Resources

Office : 412-548-2544 | Cell Phone: 412-334-5273

0Kudos
JamesTedrick

The TEXT function changes the nature of the data stored from being a number to being text, so characters are preserved; it's the formulaic equivalent of starting a text entry with a leading apostrophe (if you type '00123 into an Excel cell, the leading 0's will be retained; you'll also see the default formatting is left-justified (instead of right-justified for numbers) and a warning icon should appear asking if you want this to be a number.

MichaelBrown4
New Contributor III

我只是最近开始eeing this problem in the Field App, but believe the Web Form to be OK. I can't say if it's new or not, but my users just started reporting that the leading zeros are being removed from select_one and select_multiple questions.

I tried a few things like setting the TEXT field type and using the =TEXT() function, but when I test in connect, I can see the values are coming in as integers still, with the leading zero dropped. See screenshot below. Is there another way to do this?

MichaelBrown4_0-1616709521088.png

0Kudos