Survey123 web app - Geopoint to automatically update to the Device's current location

Jump to solution
05-04-2021 05:24 PM
GFernando
New Contributor III

In the Survey123 field app - if a default is not provided to a geopoint question, it will automatically update to the device's current location. Is this same functionality possible in the web app?

Thanks,
Gee

0Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Philip-Wilson
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi@GFernando,

Due to the way that modern web browsers work and that websites are required to ask for a users permission before using their location, it is not possible to automatically set the devices location if no default is set. The permission acceptance must be set first, and after that the user can use their current location using the button to select it.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Philip-Wilson
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi@GFernando,

Due to the way that modern web browsers work and that websites are required to ask for a users permission before using their location, it is not possible to automatically set the devices location if no default is set. The permission acceptance must be set first, and after that the user can use their current location using the button to select it.

Regards,

Phil.

GFernando
New Contributor III

That makes perfect sense. Thanks@Philip-Wilsonfor the explanation:slightly_smiling_face:

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi@Philip-Wilson,

I was wondering, is it possible to automatically prompt a user for permission? I tried everything on Android and iOS devices, and it always comes down to clicking on the map, then 'allow' on the prompt that shows up and then clicking the button to locate the user. Is there any option to short-circuit this process? E.g., automatic prompt for location and, if given, automatic location? My aim is to hide the map (which is paired in repeat with an image question), so the user would only see the prompt for location and that's it.

I attached my simple survey.

Many thanks,

Mateusz

0Kudos
Philip-Wilson
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User,

Due to the way that location services and user prompts work in web browsers, unforutnately they current way it prompts based on interacting with the map question is the limitation. We can not have a prompt for location if there is no reference in the survey (the web browser page loaded) to the location being used for that purpose (such as a map or address question).

Regards,

Phil.

0Kudos