The AREA and PERIMETER "items" (fields) in an Arc/Info coverages were maintained by the system, right? Could the user overwrite them?

06-22-2021 01:25 PM
AZendel
by
Occasional Contributor III

我们有分区快照从2000年以前的年代aved as ArcInfo coverages. Because ArcGIS Pro can't read coverages, we are working on a python script to convert them to file geodatabase feature classes and annotation. Quick question: were the AREA and PERIMETER 'items' (fields) in a polygon attribute table maintained by the ArcInfo software, similarly to how ArcGIS maintains the shape_area and shape_length in geodatabases these days? I think the answer was yes, but it would be good to get some confirmation. Also, could ArcInfo users edit the AREA and PERMITER fields? Again, I think I know the answer: No. But please confirm.

4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can't confirm (or deny) what you are asking, but if my memory serves me and it's up to a bet, my money is on what you think. Good ol' ArcInfo maintained Area & Perimeter but a user could not edit those values.

That should just about do it....
0Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

My (hazy) memory was that they were in the INFO file, and could be edited, but would be clobbered by the next BUILD or CLEAN.

- V

(Since 4.01/5.0-beta)

JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it was just conventional wisdom to not to edit them.

@VinceAngelo; You are stuck on a desert island and you can only have one data structure. Coverage or Shape File: which do you choose?

That should just about do it....
0Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Poison starfish (if I can't run PostgreSQL on coconuts with vines and ferrous rocks for cores).

- V