The Dualistic Nature of Devices

07-23-2020 05:16 AM
Labels(1)
MarkCederholm
Occasional Contributor III

This is a Gas UPDM issue. We have a great number of CP test points connected to valves, and this has stumped me. I can create a new terminal configuration, but there are times when a device acts as a device, and times when it merely acts as a junction, depending on the subnet tier. I invite Esri and the Gas Utility Community to analyze this situation.

Tags(2)
0Kudos
6 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Mark,

Can you explain the problem some more? Are you looking to connect the Test Point to the valve via a Test Lead Wire? I just looked we are missing that rule from the model, but makes sense to allow it. That valve will need a value of Traceable in the Cathodic Protection Traceability field so it is not a barrier to the CP network. This can be set via the material or the override field. The test lead wire has a category of CP Only, which is a barrier to the gas network, so the test point is not included in the gas system.

0Kudos
MarkCederholm

If I create a rule for test lead wire to valve, there must be a reference to terminals. Those terminals are occupied elsewhere.

0Kudos
MarkCederholm

It just occurred to me that it may be possible for more than one line feature to be assigned to a valve terminal. If that's the case, then there may not be a problem after all. I'll look into that possibility after my latest round of experiments, which take considerable time.

0Kudos
MarkCederholm

Yes, I verified that I can have a pipe and test lead wire connected to the same terminal of a controlling device.

0Kudos
MarkCederholm

Well here I go thinking myself around a catnip mouse again. Even if I can attach a test lead wire to a controllable valve in a pipe network, what happens if the valve is closed to gas? It should still be able to trace for conductivity. That's where the "cptraceability" field comes in, I guess. I need to do some more playing around with this.

0Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Great Question. You can close the valve and the CP network does not care. The DeviceStatus Network Attribute is not used in the subnetwork definition for CP.

0Kudos