Police Tranparency solution CJIS compliance

04-19-2021 08:42 AM
Labels(1)
Joshua-Young
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I manage the GIS of the city that I work for, which is mostly used by our Public Works, Engineering, and Planning departments. I was asked if we could stand up our own public crime map and I found the Public Crime Map that is now part of the Police Transparency solution. A previous public crime map that a vendor ran for us only had incident number, type, date, and street block. My understanding is that was all that CJIS would allow for us to put on the public map.

Looking at the Crimes_public feature layer that is part of the Police Transparency solution, there are a lot more fields including things like Full Address, Victim Offender Relationship Code/Description/Group, Offense Narrative, and Location Code/Description. Are all the fields in the Crimes_public feature layer allowed to be shared with the public?

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0Kudos
2回答
JoeBorgione
MVP Esteemed Contributor

With any ESRI Solution, you can add or subtract data as you see fit. In other words, the database schema(s) provided in solutions are more or less a one-size-fits-all approach. I've not looked at that solution specifically, but it's a good bet you can design the schema to suit your needs. Personally, I'd first talk to your Police Chief, City Manager and City Attorney all at the same time. (crazy thought I know).

I used to work in Dispatch so making a crime map was pretty easy just by geocoding the calls or by police response zone.

That should just about do it....
0Kudos
Chris_Delaney
New Contributor II

Hi Joshua,

The Crimes_public layer view is, as you note, intended to share with the public. If your agency is not comfortable with sharing the full complement of fields provided out of the box, the layer view can be reconfigured to the fields your agency wishes to share.

With respect to the public sharing of crime data, there are a wide variety of municipal, state, and federal guidelines, including CJIS, which shape what your agency is allowed to share. When determining what to share, often a good place to start is to look at what is redacted when a resident requests a copy of a crime report. A second place to consider is the type of data about criminal incidents that is shared via your crime reporting process to your state and to the FBI. The new National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS) uses record level reporting, is publicly available, and includes 58 different fields. This should give you a sense of the type of data that you could choose to share to the public without running afowl of compliance issues. If you have additional questions, feel free to reach out!

Chris Delaney
Product Owner, Esri Law Enforcement Solutions
cdelaney@esri.com

0Kudos